Jun 13, 2010

Ninotchka


NINOTCHKA

How did this film get on the list? Well, I've never seen or heard of it referenced in popular culture BUT, it has been a film that has been recommended to me several times AND it appeared in a 100 Best Spy Movies magazine that I purchased in the airport for some light reading while traveling from San Fran to LA (or was it the other way around? the point is, it doesn't matter).

I didn't really know much about this movie. It appeared in a magazine listing best spy movies so I assumed that it would be... a spy movie. I did not expect a romantic comedy. I mean, perhaps the big blue letters at the top of the poster "Garbo Laughs" should have been a hint that it wasn't your typical action spy movie, but something more hilarious. And, I really wouldn't consider it a spy movie. I mean, Greta Garbo may play a Russian in France, but I wouldn't really consider her a spy. I mean, the one guy who I could consider a spy would be the bellboy who ran and told the Duchess that her stolen jewels were in the hotel safe of the Russians. But, I don't think that minor character would be enough to qualify it as a spy movie.

Definitions aside, I think the larger reason this movie is on my list is not so much the movie itself is culturally important, but that Greta Garbo is in the film and she's culturally important. Up until this point in time, I had never seen a Greta Garbo flick. It's kind of a similar situation to Buster Keaton scenario: I'd read about and heard about Great Garbo inside and outside of class, but had never really watched any of her movies. Although Ninotchka probably isn't the first example of this silent star turned talkie phenomenon that comes to mind when thinking of Garbo's work, she was still nominated (for the fourth time) for the role.

And for good reason. In my opinion (if you give a damn), Garbo made the movie. Although the three Russians were a bit funny in the beginning, and introducing the Duchess and the jewels was necessary for setting up the plot, I didn't feel like the film was anything special until Garbo came onscreen. Not only did she get great dialogue to start with, her flat delivery and unchanging, serious expression made the lines even more hysterical. I am tempted to put some quotes here, but upon looking at imdb's extended list of memorable quotes, they just aren't the same read as they are when Garbo says them. Her performance was a great example of the-more-serious-you-are-the-funnier-it-is. 

Speaking of being serious, halfway through the movie, amidst the laughter, I remembered the slogan of the poster/dvd label... "Garbo Laughs". Now, I get that it's a play on early 1930s film advertising with "Garbo Talks" to promote talking pictures... but halfway through the movie, she wasn't laughing! So, I was incredibly puzzled as to why this seemingly ironic statement was used for the film's advertising and promotion. But! A little over halfway through the movie, I think, she did indeed laugh... and it was a major turning point of the movie! So, I was even more confused as to why they chose to put that on the poster. I would put a spoiler alert around the fact that she laughs, but they've given it away already! Why would they do that? I have no answer. Please, someone help me with ideas.

The somewhat brief conclusion to this is this: I really enjoyed this film. It was a great example of a romantic comedy (and a very poor example of a spy movie) with the furthest possible opposites attracting: the Russian communist and the Parisian capitalist. Although formulaic, it was still enjoyable, tight (for two hours) and it somehow ended up being able to surprise me in the end with how the two finally got together.

So, if you haven't seen Ninontchka, go watch it.

COMING SOON: Woody Allen's favorite movie: The Bicycle Thief 

1 comment:

  1. Matt! I just realized you wrote a comment for me! Yay! But boo that I have been working through my list incredibly slowly. But yay now that I'm watching out of order, so I might just skip to All About Eve...

    ReplyDelete