Dec 17, 2010

She Done Him Wrong... Again

So, after writing my barely coherent post on She Done Him Wrong last night (well, technically early this morning), I was inspired to watch the movie again. So, I did! It's a very interesting movie. I like it, but I wouldn't say it's the best movie that I've watched from my list. I'm surprised it was nominated for the Oscar for its year. Perhaps it wasn't as good of a year for Oscars? Although isn't 1933 technically considered part of Hollywood's "Golden Age"? Perhaps this will require further investigation. I may have to watch the other nine nominees of the year (yes, there were ten total, just like they recently changed it back to).

But the point of this post was not to put down She Done Him Wrong, but to instead marvel at the strangeness of the movie. I may have said in my last post that Mae West was ahead of her time (if I didn't say it, I meant to). But, when I watched the movie again, I tried to think of a Mae West equivalent today... and I couldn't think of anyone. I feel like there are a lot more female comedians today than there were in the 1930s (this requires more research though), but none of them do the type of comedy and the type of characters Mae West does. It's still not accepted for a woman to be so uber flirtatious. If Mae West were starting her career today, would she have any chance of becoming the star she was in the 1930s?

So, my vast many readers, I pose you this question: can you think of a Mae West equivalent?

That is all...

No comments:

Post a Comment